Sunday, June 26, 2011

Medical Mission trip to Africa

     Jambo everyone (that's hello in swahili)!! Jen and I returned home Friday evening from our trip to Africa. It was an amazing life experience that has changed me forever. We got the oppoprtunity to reach out to the poor of Nairobi in a very real and tangible way. Our first day, we were sent out into the slums to tell people about our free clinic. I have never seen anything like it. The slums of Nairobi are basically little cities within the city of Nairobi. There are three main slums ranging in size from 300,000-1,000,000 people. The poorest of the poor live in the slums.They live in deplorable conditions. There is no sanitation and raw sewage runs through trenches in front of their makeshift homes. Clean water, which is so accessible to us in America, is difficult to come by. Disease runs rampant. I could go on and on about the conditions, but the Kenyan people have very sweet spirits. They are incredibly patient and polite. I found them to be very appreciative.
     There is a bible verse that came to my attention which I want to share with those of you who prayed for us and donated money to this cause.  If you help the poor, you are lending to the LORD--and he will repay you (Proverbs 19:17). Essentially, when you give to the poor the Lord is your debtor. He will repay you for your good deed.  I have to confess that before I went on this trip I was concerned about how much difference we could really make in 5 days. Well,  I can tell you with 100% certainty that our team did make a difference to many people. I know this because I saw it with my own eyes. In fact, four people were so critical that they would have likely lost their lives without immediate medical intervention.
     Our team was able to meet some of the practical needs of the people through food, water, and medical care. However, more importantly we helped these people who seem to be forgotten and invisible,  feel cared for and loved by us and by God. Many of these people will never get out of the slums. The average life expectancy is around 45, so what they need most is hope. You all have helped get this message to these people and I want you to know it makes a difference.
     Please pray for the poor of Kenya. The Kenyan government is very corrupt and there are many complex social issues which keep these people in bondage (especially the women).  I am so grateful that my sister was able to accompany me on this trip. I don't think I could have gotten through it without her. It was challenging mentally and physically, but rewarding as well. Thank you again for your donations and prayers. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment