Sunday, June 5, 2011

ONE WEEK

Well, today marks the countdown to seven days and counting.  Next week, at this exact time, we will be getting ready to board our plane en route to Turkey (this is the longest of the two flights - 12 hours).  We have a short layover and then another six hours till Nairobi. 

We are both starting to pack our bags and Heather's trial run resulted in a 28 pound bag.  She reassured me that I will be able to pack lightly as well, but I'm not sure I can pack for two weeks and have it all weigh under 30 pounds.  We have up to 50 pounds so I am convinced I will be much closer to that weight. 

Heather attended the final informational/prayer meeting today.  There are 34 of us going on this mission and we are hopeful that we will help and assist many people while we are there.  Heather will be assisting as an RN and I will be working in the waiting room, registration desk, or watching children.  So I imagine that Heather and I will actually see very little of each other during the clinic days.  Each evening we will attend church services.  Bravely, Heather is singing solos for a couple of those services.  I definitely did not volunteer to sing for the group (I can sing in front of my kindergarten students; however, they have NO idea that I am unable to carry a tune). 

It is crazy to think that in less than one week we will be on our way - this has been about a four month process and it has gone so quickly.  I can only imagine how quickly the time will go while we are working.

I am looking forward to being able to share with you our experiences while we are on the other side of this world.  I won't have access to the internet while I am there so I will make posts when I return.  I hope to have great stories and many pictures. 

Thank you all for your financial support and prayer.  We couldn't be more excited, and a bit anxious, for this opportunity:)

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME!!!!! I am sooo jealous! I wish you safe travels and a great time while there! I can't wait to hear about it when you return!

    ReplyDelete