Saturday, July 9, 2011

Last day cont

These little boys played patiently for three hours while they waited with their parents for the maize that we would be handing out.  They played with their water bottles the entire time.  All I kept thinking was how my own children would have been whining and complaining the entire time saying they were so bored.  They didn't fight, complain, or argue - they just enjoyed play time with their new toys.


Truck that delivered the maize


Children waiting to receive their free maize.
 We were able to donate a bit of money and purchase maize for the patients.  So on the final day of the clinic we collected their vouchers and they would receive a bag of maize.  Heather was stationed at one of the tables where they handed out the maize. 


This volunteer was telling the people that once they received their maize they needed to either go into the church for worship or they needed to leave. 

Each bag of maize costs approximately $1.50 and it would feed a family of four for possibly two meals.  So they typically do not purchase maize like this because it is just too expensive for them.



I think by the final day of the clinic we were all so glad that it was over because we were all so tired and exhausted.  Not until the day was over and I layed down in bed that night did I realize that the effort we put forth was beneficial to so many people.  I then was so sad that it was over and we wouldn't be helping people any more on this trip.  Our job that we came to do was over in a flash.  The days were super long, but so rewarding.  I know that we were all led to Kenya for a very specific purpose.  Heather was touched by the camaraderie between our team of 36 that worked super hard for one common goal!  I still have a very difficult time putting into words how I feel about my time in Africa.  I can say with certainty that I will forever be a changed person.  I came away with more than I could have ever imagined.  I am already trying to figure out when I can do another mission trip!

I just want to thank my sister for getting this whole thing rolling for this mission trip.  Had it not been for her, I would have never been given an opportunity of a lifetime.  She planted the seed way back in January thinking I probably wouldn't be able to go - for a number of different reasons - my kids, financially, or my back.  I knew the moment she mentioned the trip I would figure out a way to make this trip possible.  I knew that if God wanted me to go and serve, He would provide me with the resources and health to get there.  It was interesting that both Heather and I had the desire to go and serve in Africa even though we had never talked about it prior to this.  So it seemed that when this opportunity was right in front of us we had no choice, but to follow God's calling for us.   We had a fantastic time together and even learned a little bit about each other that we didn't know.  I will forever cherish our time together in Africa.  So thanks again Heather and know that I love you!

I will be posting more about our time in Africa, but I wanted our clinic days to be the focus of this blog.  Thanks to all of you who have been posting such nice comments - I sure do appreciate your kind words!

No comments:

Post a Comment