Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sunday!


This isn't the best quality picture, but I thought it was interesting that some people cemented shards of glass on top of the brick fence that protects their home/apartment complex.    Again, very resourceful people. 

 Before church on Sunday, we were able to go for breakfast in the city.  Real coffee - even a latte - lucky !!!


Heather, Dr. Marie, Socorro, and me waiting for breakfast!



I love the little cup of vanilla syrup - they always serve a biscuit with coffee, tea, or hot chocolate.  Heather enjoying her latte!  

Nothing like a latte :)  The simple things in life!




We visited a village market where individuals would sell handmade goods.  It was a market where you could negotiate a price.  I was so nervous because I didn't think I would be able to do it.  I thought if they said 2000 shillings- I would pay them 2000 shillings, but I learned how to barter and thought it was fun.  I ended up buying so many souvenirs that I had to buy a bag to carry them in.  1000 shillings were approximately $11.12.  So once I was able to figure out how many dollars an item would cost, it was easier to barter.  I found some fun things for the kids.  I wished I could have purchased one of these large giraffes, but I knew getting it home would be a problem.  I was already worried that I may be over the 50 pound weight limit.
Many of the women sold bags, jewelry, and small trinkets.  The men usually sold the larger items such as masks, paintings, and statues. 

I spent a few hours shopping with team member Ida.  We had so much fun - we even skipped lunch just so we could have more time to shop - plus we spent our lunch money on market goods rather than food!

Heather did not find the market near as enjoyable as I did - I think this is one area where our personalities were more obvious.  I loved the crazy, busy vibe in the market where Heather wasn't as fond of it.

The rest of Sunday was spent packing our bag for safari.  We had to pack up our large luggage item (this was placed in storage since we wouldn't be returning to the School of Theology) and only take a backpack on safari.  There was a 30-pound maximum for our safari bag. 

Today was still a bittersweet day as we are all still reflecting on all that we took in over the last few days.  For me, I felt unbelievably grateful to be given the opportunity to help these wonderful people of Kenya. 

No comments:

Post a Comment